Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Renewed Vision

Some years ago, I suddenly realized that my 9 year old was not having trouble telling time – she just couldn’t see the clock!  We immediately took her to the eye Dr. where we found out that she badly needed glasses to help her vision.  The ride home from the doctor’s with her new glasses was a joy.  “Mom!  That truck says…”   “Mom, there are LEAVES on the trees!!!”  “Mom, do you see that sign???!!!”  “Mom, everything is so BRIGHT and COLORFUL!!!”  My daughter simply needed help with her vision to add new joy and excitement to the everyday things we often take for granted. 

I often need a new vision prescription myself this time of year.  There seems to be a  mysterious “disease” in the homeschool community that occurs for many moms in  January or February.  Symptoms include clouded vision and discouragement, with a temptation to sit alone on the couch all day with a good book and cup of tea as you wait for the school bus to arrive with hot cookies in the oven….     As moms look to the long weeks ahead, how “behind” we are from what our goals were at the beginning of the year, experience long, cold INDOOR days, the adjustment to school schedules – our eyes can become clouded and we can lose our vision.

Many years ago I wrote up this little worksheet for myself, and have since shared it with many.  It’s a little reminder to myself of why I homeschool and is well worth the time to sit down and reflect upon.  It tends to get my eyes back on what really matters, and clears up my cloudy vision.  I love homeschooling – even on the difficult days – for it is a gift of grace from the Lord to be able to train up my children in every area of their life. So like my daughter with her new glasses,  renewed vision can add joy and excitement to the everyday things we often take for granted!

Feel free to print out this page and prayerfully fill it in with the purposes God has given you in homeschooling your children… and enjoy the joy it brings to remember His purpose and plan!


My Purpose & Vision for Homeschooling:

Why have I chosen to educate my children at home?
    The Biblical Principles of home education:
1.  God gives instructions to parents to teach their children about Him.

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today, are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” Deut. 6:5-7

“Bring them [your children] up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” Eph. 6:4

Also see Deut. 4:9

my thoughts:


2.   God wants what is godly and right to be taught to our children.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.” Proverbs 1:7

           "in whom [Jesus Christ] are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” Col. 2:3

“But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.” Ps. 1:2

“…be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Romans 12:2

“Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things.” Col 3:2

Also see 2 Cor. 10:5, Luke 6:40, Matt 22:37-38

my thoughts:

               
3.     God does not want what is ungodly or evil to be taught to our children.
           “Do not be conformed any longer to the pattern of this world…” Romans 12:2

“See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.” Col 2:8

Also see Jer. 10:2, 2 Tim 3:7


my thoughts:

The advantages of homeschooling:

a.     Spiritual


b.      Character


c.      Academic



d.     Social



e.      Family



f.      Other



What do I want my child to be like when he/she has completed his/her formal education?
Luke 2:52 says, “And Jesus grew in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and men.” 

 When your child has grown to maturity, what do you desire to see as fruit in their lives?
            Mentally (in wisdom):


        Physically (in stature):


        Spiritually (in favor with God, through Jesus Christ):


        Socially (in favor with men):



How do I build a homeschool that will honor God and accomplish his purposes in my child and my family?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I'm printing it out to go through later today. I'm definitely in need of some renewed vision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad says that we don’t believe what we see, we see what we believe. Life is so much better when you have the right vision, when you remember where you’re headed, and why you’re going there.
    ~Aidyl

    ReplyDelete